I am an Exercise Physiologist and Exercise Scientist with over 17 years’ experience in the health and fitness industry and I specialise in chronic disease management; specifically, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. As an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP), I am able to work with clients under Medicare, DVA and Work Cover schemes.
Contact me to find out how I can help you today!
If you have a chronic disease/condition, you should discuss with your GP whether or not you meet the requirements for referral under the chronic disease management program (CDM). This system allows for 5 referrals to appropriate allied health providers whereby these sessions may be partially or fully bulk-billed.
Community-based patients may be eligible if they have a chronic (or terminal) medical condition and their GP has provided the following Chronic Disease Management (CDM) services:
- A GP Management Plan (GPMP) – (item 721) and
- Team Care Arrangements (TCAs) – (item 723).
Residents of a residential aged care facility may be eligible if their GP has contributed to a multidisciplinary care plan prepared for them by the residential aged care facility or to a review of the multidisciplinary care plan (item 731).
A chronic medical condition is one that has been (or is likely to be) present for six months or longer, for example, asthma, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, musculoskeletal conditions and stroke. There is no list of eligible conditions. However, the CDM items are designed for patients who require a structured approach and to enable GPs to plan and coordinate the care of patients with complex conditions requiring ongoing care from a multidisciplinary team.
Patients have complex care needs if they need ongoing care from a multidisciplinary team consisting of their GP and at least two other health or care providers.
Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
The aim of DVA funded exercise physiology is to:
- assess the entitled person and design an individualised exercise program that addresses the need of their referred, specific clinical condition
- provide the entitled person with the skills to manage the exercise component of their treatment on their own, through exercise.
DVA Health Cards (Gold and White) are accepted as payment upon a GP referral
Exercise physiologists play a vital role in helping workers stay at or return to work after an injury. Allied health providers:
- treat and manage the clinical care of the injury/illness
- make a significant contribution to improving health and return to work outcomes, under the direction of the treating medical practitioner.
Before any medical treatment can be commenced, the worker must have a current medical certificate or have been referred by a registered medical practitioner.