Services for Gyms
I am an Exercise Physiologist and Exercise Scientist with over 17 years’ experience in the health and fitness industry and I specialise in chronic disease management; specifically, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. I offer a range of services to the fitness industry in Ipswich, QLD including:
We are able to cater to both large and small businesses and can work with you to tailor a package or service to suit you and your clients specifically.
I have been teaching and lecturing for over 10 years in the fitness industry and education is a core tenet of my business. I run Healthy Living workshops for my own clients and have taught CEC courses for personal trainers and can provide similar services for your clients and PTs onsite.
I have found that my clients are more likely to adhere to my intervention if they know why they are doing what they are doing. My client workshops have been hugely successful at increasing client adherence, success and satisfaction with our services.
I can provide workshops for your clients onsite covering topics such as low carb healthy fat nutrition, intermittent fasting, fitness as medicine or chronic disease management through lifestyle interventions; or I can tailor a workshop to suit a specific topic of interest. Presentations typically last for 45 minutes with a Q&A at the end for an additional 30-45 minutes; however, we can tailor the workshop length and the content to suit your clients and needs. Workshop participants receive a copy of the workshop material and are given opportunities to apply principles to their own situations.
PT Education Workshops
Due to the increasing number of Australians with chronic illness, I also run workshops for PTs covering:
- why fitness is essential for managing and reversing chronic illness
- the latest health and exercise research on CVD, diabetes and obesity with simple strategies to assist in managing them
- simple and effective HIIT programs used in research
- research showing that it is a low cardiorespiratory fitness (not obesity) that is the greatest risk for any cause of death
- problematic myths of the industry that are ultimately hurting our clients and preventing them from reaching their goals
If this is something that is of interest to you, we can offer corporate pricing for company-wide training or individual prices for trainers. This workshop will provide one CEC from the category of “In-House Training” with Fitness Australia.
We can also provide body fat and metabolism testing services to your clients, either on request by clients or on an ongoing basis at your site.
Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis
Bioelectrical impedance analysis is a fast and efficient way to assess client’s body composition. We use the Maltron BF900 which provides us with accurate data on
- body fat percentage, kilograms and individual ideal ranges
- lean tissue percentage and kilograms
- Basal metabolic rate (BMR)
- Water volume in litres, as a percentage and individual ideal range
The benefit to the client includes:
- certainty of fat loss, not muscle loss
- dietary and exercise recommendations based on results
- body composition monitoring in association with specific ageing and/or medical conditions
- assessment of growth development and age related changes in children and adolescents
This test is non-invasive, takes around 15 minutes to perform and can be done onsite. As an exercise physiologist, I can interpret these results accurately and provide professional advice and recommendations on exercise programming, energy intake and the need for further investigations.
We are also taking expressions of interest for this gold standard metabolic assessment. Indirect caliometry is an effective and non-invasive way to accurately assess your client’s metabolic profile and identify dysfunction. This assessment provides insight into why weight loss may not be occurring and provides practitioners and clients with accurate data to improve their intervention. It can also be used to fine-tune both exercise and dietary programs to optimise results.
Indirect caliometry can be used to:
- perform a valid, reliable and accurate assessment of patient’s metabolic profile.
- provide specific treatments to correct abnormalities detected during patient testing.
- classify a patient’s metabolism as slow, normal or fast.
- determine a patient’s use of glucose or fat to generate energy.
- assess a patient’s mitochondrial function.
- determine the success or failure of a treatment regime to correct energy dysfunction.
For more information about these assessments or to indicate an expression of interest in Indirect Caliometry, please contact us.
Australia is facing a chronic disease epidemic. Diabetes is the fastest growing chronic condition and cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the number one killer. Diabetes and CVD place people at considerable risk for adverse outcomes during exercise and clients with chronic illness who are high risk, in accordance with the APSS, require referral to a GP or appropriate allied health professional.
“Registered Exercise Professionals may work with higher risk clientele (whose conditions are stabilised and managed) after making a written referral to and receiving documented guidance on the exercise program from the clients’ treating medical and/or allied health practitioner. Registered Exercise Professionals should refer to the nationally endorsed APSS to stratify client risk and determine appropriate exercise intensity for physical activities based on the client’s risk classification.”
As an exercise physiologist, I can work with your trainers who have clients with serious chronic illness to ensure adequate duty of care is maintained. The referral process between PTs and EPs reclassifies these conditions as “managed” and reduces litigation risk for both you and your trainers.